When it comes to beginning the keto diet or any new eating plan, there is always a rather large learning curve up front. However, with a little research and some help from a meal delivery service, eating on plan can be easy and delicious. Spend your time taste testing expertly paired food and flavor combinations in precooked meals that are delivered directly to your front door instead of scrambling to find recipes and making multiple trips to the grocery store.
The Keto Diet
The ketogenic, or keto, diet is based on an extremely low-carb, high protein diet. Proponents of the diet say the secret of its success is the carb and protein ratio. Normally, carbohydrates serve as fuel for the body, but when the body gets a significantly less carbohydrate intake, it is forced to look elsewhere for fuel. In this instance, the body usually pulls energy from its protein and fat stores. This redirected access to fat stores for body fuel is commonly called ketosis, for which the diet is named.
Tips for a Successful Keto Diet
Because the hallmark of the keto diet is a substantially low carbohydrate intake, high carb convenience foods are generally eliminated. Examples of carbohydrate rich foods to be avoided on the keto diet may include sandwich bread, rolls, pasta, cakes, cookies, pies, pastries, most baked dessert goods, breakfast cereals, and even some varieties of alcohol. By avoiding these foods, dieters are setting themselves up for success.
While it may feel like some of your once favorite foods are now off limits, there are still many delicious options on the table. The building blocks of keto friendly snacks and meals are typically based on meat, eggs, cheese, nuts and seeds, and some vegetables.
Meats generally include ham, bacon, sausage, steak, chicken, turkey, trout, salmon, tuna, and mackerel. Eggs are best if pastured or omega-3 and butter from grass-fed sources are preferred. Cheeses popular with keto dieters are unprocessed varieties such as mozzarella, cheddar, blue, or goat. Almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds are great sources of protein. Only low carb vegetables such as onions, peppers, tomatoes, and a few others are usually approved for the keto plan.
Many dieters credit their success with the diet by simply knowing what foods they can and cannot eat rather than having to keep a calorie intake chart and food log.
Meal Services Can Make the Keto Diet a Success
A reputable delivery gourmet meal service can make eating on the keto diet easy and delicious while saving you valuable time. With taste tested keto-friendly meal combinations that are assembled, prepared, cooked, and vacuum packed before being delivered to your doorstep, all that is left is for you to do is enjoy. Most preferred meal delivery service companies provide meals that require only a few minutes to warm with minimal clean up. No ingredients from the grocery store or cleaning multiple pots and pans are required.
Before settling on the meal delivery service of your choice, speak with the manager to make sure they understand what makes a meal keto-friendly and verify how many meal choices they offer that fit those parameters. Most meal delivery services should offer several different choices for you to rotate your meals between.
Perhaps one of the most important parts of choosing a meal delivery service is making sure they do not require the customer to sign a long term contract for a subscription meal service. No subscriptions should be a prerequisite and customers should be allowed to choose which meals they would like at whatever frequency they prefer.
Sample Keto Diet Friendly Meals
For some, the keto diet is an entirely new way of eating and may require their taste buds a little while to come fully on board with the new food plan. However, one of the bonuses of having your prepared meals delivered from a gourmet meal service is that chefs have already paired the perfect foods together for optimum enjoyment.
Here are a few examples of keto diet friendly dinners one might enjoy from a meal delivery service:
- Chicken Piccata: A tender chicken breast served up with bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, and parsley that are all topped with a mouthwatering Italian Piccata sauce
- Chicken Romesco: A roasted chicken breast served over spinach, mushrooms, and caramelized onions, all of which are topped with a delicious Spanish romesco sauce
- Cauliflower Fried Rice: A low carb fried rice bowl filled with cauliflower, eggs, carrots, bok choy, pork tenderloin, and sesame oil
- Italian Florentine: A moist chicken breast served up with baby spinach, cremini mushrooms, and a delectable white cream sauce
- Caprese Steak: Made with a delicious cut of seared skirt steak served with almond basil pesto, mozzarella, balsamic cherry tomatoes, and asparagus spears
- Chicken Nuggets: Bites of chicken covered in an almond crust are accompanied by broccoli florets and a creamy Greek yogurt ranch sauce
- Beef Marinara: Lean ground beef cooked with mushrooms and peppers in a housemade marinara sauce
- Spaghetti: Made with roasted spaghetti squash, ground beef, spinach, and parmesan cheese
- Turkey Bowl: A Greek-style tomato sauce pairs well here with ground turkey and asparagus
- Beef Stew: A hearty bowl of lean steak, mushrooms, and green beans cooked with carrots, onions, and herbs
Many home delivery meal services can provide delicious keto diet friendly meal options that will satisfy most taste buds. If you are new to the keto diet and are still learning which foods are keto approved and which taste well together, a gourmet meal delivery service can be a fantastic way to learn without all the work.